Friday 27 July, 2007

Another dog .... another sad day for human kind. Shame on us. Really.
Sunshine, a beautiful, lovable and extremely snugly golden Cocker Spaniel was left to breathe her last at CUPA by her horrible ex-owners.
With not a care in the world, they abandoned this beautiful, yet helpless dog in the twilight of her life and went about life as if nothing had happened.
Me and a few of the members of this blog tried to place sunshine but we had very few takers for a blind dog... I was losing hope and getting restless. My fellow bloggers sent me encouraging emails, telling me to keep my faith in mankind intact and that very soon, the sun would shine for this dog...
Unfortunately, we were all wrong.
Sunshine passed away, alone, scared and totally helpless at the CUPA shelter last week.
So, again... what we all did was stand and stare.
I feel like my energy and enthusiasm died with her and it's shaken me up quite a bit.
I remember holding this quivering dog in my arms, hoping to comfort her, in what I didn't know were her last few days... she was shy at first, vary...wondering who I was and if I would inflict cruelty that hadn't already been inflicted on her...but when she felt my touch and heard me whisper loving words in her ear, she relaxed and blossomed....a lot like a flower... and she shone...oh how she shone..and that's when I thought...she's like a little sunflower...that faces the sun and shines... and that was the moment I knew that she should be called Sunshine. Later that evening, Jellicles and I were chatting online and we both agreed that Sunshine was truly befitting a name for her.
Sunshine sat in my lap for over two hours, often nuzzling the crook of my arm when I stopped petting her...gently reminding me that the caresses should continue.... I wept like a baby at her plight and she licked my tears to comfort me .... almost as though she understood that I felt her pain.... I left the shelter... completely heartbroken with the promise that I would do everything in my power to give Sunshine a decent home to pass the last few years of her life with dignity and love.
I failed. And if I could, I wish I could apologize to her...because I did promise... to come back...and take her to a home where she would be loved.
I feel I've failed. Not only have I failed her... but I feel that we as a race have failed.
If you beg to differ... tell me... how do you justify leaving a loving companion in the twilight of her life.... to die a lonely death in unfamiliar surroundings?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.