Friday 6 July, 2007

And my life changed.....


I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. And today, after what I feel has been one of the truly enriching experiences of my life, I believe it more than ever.

It started pretty innocently. One of our closest friend's in Bangalore invited us for drinks to a pub. We are relatively new here so meeting new people is always good. Over deafening music and lip-smacking food, somehow conversation veered towards animals and my love for them. I was desperately looking for an animal shelter that was good and could do with some help. One of the people at our table said she had heard of such a place. My ears perked up - NOW we were talking! We decided to check this place out and after a few email exchanges over the week, we met and set out for Compassion Unlimited Plus Action (CUPA) Headquarters.

Over the years I have always been associated in one way or the other with stray animals and shelters for them. I have seen some pretty horrific sights. From uncaring staff, improper use of funds to complete ignorance about animals and their welfare - I have seen it all and it can be quite grim. So with no illusions and only the lure of having the opportunity of playing with puppies, I entered this facility.

I knew immediately that this was not just a shelter. It was a safe haven for animals that have been abandoned, have deformities or to whom life has been a little less kind.
Situated in the compound of the Karnataka Veterinary and Fisheries Science University in Hebbal, this 10 ½ acre sanctuary is maintained and run by a small group of dedicated and hard working people. I had the opportunity to interact with a couple of them and their affection for the place and what they do was palpable. When I visited for the first time, the facility had cats, rabbits, cows, horses and of course – dogs. Incidentally, CUPA is also a crèche for pets whose owners are travelling and who need a home for a short time. They also house the animals that are being treated at the hospital.

From the three-legged Micheal (a white, black & brown street dog with an attitude of gold) to the completely blind alsation who looks out at nothingness but rolls on her back with affection, paws flailing when she makes human contact, I realised one thing very quickly : these animals were not unfortunate, they were home. All the animals were well fed, well treated and above all – loved. If life was fair, these dogs could all live at CUPA - always. But who says life's fair? The resources are limited and space - a constraint. CUPA volunteers and members are tirelessly on the lookout for a good home for these animals so that they can take in the next lot of unfortunate beings.

Being a staunch dog lover, I was in heaven. I had gone there armed with biscuits, thinking I'd feed a few dogs, pat a few puppies and leave. We stayed for 3 hours and I felt like I knew everyone and every animal there. I had come home.

I left with a lot of hesitation but with a promise of going back next weekend. The eager yaps and frantically shaking tails that will meet me is motivation enough.

Funnily enough, after this experience, I felt more rescued than the animals at the shelter :-)

If you'd like to be rescued too, please do visit
www.cupabangalore.org or http://adoptstrays.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Me said...

Thanks for linking ...pls feel free to link us aywhere :) pls mail me at sapphire101@hotmail.com so that we can cordinate, exchange numbers and be there at the shelter at the same time and get as much info and pics as possible.

mbhave said...

cool.. liked it and like your thoughts too.. stryas need help and you are doing good. Am an ardent blogger too and have started recently. Also am an MSian.. i go by the id of mb07.
My blogging interests are different. You can find me at http://mbhavecorpblog.wetpaint.com

cheers